Name of applicant: Juan Carlos Pérez-Duthie
Email Address: jcpduthie [at] mac [dot] com, jcpduthie [at] yahoo [dot] com
Phone Number: 305-978-0468
Type of Work Desired: Full-time, part-time, or freelance in writing, copy editing, proofreading, reporting, teaching English, teaching journalism, teaching creative writing, hospitality.
Job Location Desired: Mérida centro
• Regular contributing writer: Sun-Sentinel newspaper’s El Sentinel Spanish weekly [2004 – Present]. Focus: art, celebrities, film, literature, music, social and educational stories, etc. Freelancer in English for the Sun-Sentinel daily as well.
• Contributor in English and Spanish: Various media outlets, including www.msn.com (http://latinzine.msn.com) as a regular music blogger, www.artburstmiami.com (formerly www.performancejournalism.com), Barry University magazine, the original Billboard en Español music website, www.category305.com (no longer running), Muy Interesante magazine (Spain), Explore magazine, Key Biscayne magazine, Miami New Times weekly, The Philadelphia Inquirer daily, and others [1999 – Present].
• Proofreader for Miami-based travel and leisure magazine Splendid [2009 – Present]: Proofreading, fact checking, some translation, and secondary editing of all texts in English and in Spanish.
• AOL Latino [December 2011 – March 2012]: Research and creation of profiles for Íconos, the AOL Latino website’s section of biographies of Hispanic personalities that have become icons in various fields, such as the arts, sports and politics, among other fields.
• International Federation of the Phonographic Industry, IFPI (April 2011 – February 2012]: In charge of a bilingual news bulletin and press releases. Research data, copy edit, write, and translate for IFPI’s Miami-based offices.
• Writer for Sony Music Latin [August 2009 – July 2011]: Responsible for press releases, speeches, translations, biographies, media alerts, etc., for the record label in Miami.
• Head writer of all press releases, media alerts, biographies, translations and other documents in English and in Spanish for various clients, including Sony BMG and Baptist Hospital [January 2007 – December 2009].
• Correspondent in Miami for Puerto Rico’s largest and most important newspaper, El Nuevo Día [1999 – 2008].
• From 2004 to 2005, worked for El Nuevo Día out of Buenos Aires, Argentina, while pursuing a Master’s in Journalism at Universidad Torcuato di Tella and La Nación newspaper; freelanced for La Nación.
• News director for Miami-based music website eritmo.com, overseeing bureaus in Spain, Argentina, Mexico, California (Los Angeles) and Colombia [2000 – 2001].
• Scriptwriter for Univisión’ s Primer Impacto TV show [2000 – 2001].
• Senior features writer (Focusing on art, celebrities, culture, film, fashion, music, social issues, etc.), at El Nuevo Día, San Juan, Puerto Rico [1997 – 1999].
• Various positions (reporter, copy editor, translator, critic) at The Miami Herald and El Nuevo Herald newspapers [1988 – 1997].
In New York City: Tutored in Spanish at Fordham University’s Modern Languages Dept., and in English at Hostos Community College. In 2008: Substitute teacher for two classes in Analytical Writing, English, at Barry University’s School of Continuing Education, North Miami.
• University of California Riverside/Palm Desert campus: MFA in Creative Writing and Writing for the Performing Arts [August 2009 – August 2011].
• Courses in Creative Writing at Miami Dade College’s Florida Center for the Literary Arts, Miami, Florida .
• Master’s degree in Journalism, Universidad Torcuato di Tella and La Nación newspaper, Buenos Aires, Argentina [2004 – 2005].
• Centro de Estudios Avanzados de Puerto Rico y el Caribe, courses , and Escuela de Bellas Artes de San Juan, Puerto Rico, courses and certificate .
• Bachelor of Arts, Mass Communications (major), French (minor) – Fordham University, NYC [1983 – 1987].
ASSOCIATIONS & AWARDS
- Member of the Association of Writers and Writing Programs (AWP), since 2006
- Member of the Modern Language Association (MLA), since 2009
- Short story published in the Latino Young Adult noir anthology You Don’t Have a Clue (Arte Público Press and University of Houston, 2011
- Short story in Spanish published in Argentina, 2005 anthology
- Inter American Press Association fellowship, 1997
- Second Place, Best Feature 1996, Sunshine State Awards, Florida
- National Association of Hispanic Journalists Second Place, Best Cultural Reporting of Hispanics in a major daily, 1995
- New York Daily News Scholarship Fund, 1986
Computer literate in English and in Spanish. Ample travel experience. Fair knowledge of French. Coordinate photo shoots. Sometimes take photos for my own stories.