Job Wanted: Media or Film Production
I am a 23 year old Masters student in the UK, upon graduation this coming October I am hoping to move to Mexico to work in Media Production (Ideally Documentary Film Production) or Anthropology. My Parents are ex pats living in Cancun for the last 6 years so I know the area and speak Spanish. I would really appreciate your help with this.
Name: Rachel-Hannah Strong
Phone Number: 00447800568421
Work Desired: Film Production Assistant / Researcher / Runner OR Anthropology
Location Desired: Cancun or Merida
Qualifications: BA Archaeology and Anthropology 2:1, MA Visual Anthropology
Spanish CV available on request!
Address: Lyons Cottage, High Street, Buxted, East Sussex, TN22 4JZ
Tel: 07800568421 • E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org• https://vimeo.com/user8694707
September 2011 – Present, The University of Manchester
MA Visual Anthropology (Ethnographic Film)
• Gained intensive hands-on training in ethnographic documentary including technical skills in camera work (Sony HVR-V1E High Definition Camcorders), setting up interviews, sound recording (Rode NTG-1 microphones and Senheisser Radio Microphones) and film editing (AVID).
• Successfully produced various short documentary films both independently and in teams including Yolanda, a film about a Swiss woman’s experience of Manchester as a blind undergraduate student (Official Selection Manchester Film Festival Student Documentary Category 2012)
• Developed a good understanding of theoretical issues surrounding visual representation and an awareness of both legal and ethical concerns for practical documentary making.
• Utilized excellent interpersonal skills to carry out film projects with several unfamiliar groups of people such as EU immigrants to the UK, disabled individuals in Manchester and indigenous peoples in Latin America. I am preparing to pitch an idea for my dissertation film, which will explore the widespread belief and worship of gnome-like creatures in the state of Yucatan, Mexico.
September 2008 – July 2011, The University of Bristol
BA Archaeology and Anthropology (2:1) with Advanced Spanish modules.
• Produced a sensitive, first class written and visual dissertation project through independent fieldwork amongst indigenous families of suicide victims in Mexico. Research involved semi-structured interviews using a pocket HD video camera and dictaphone, participant-observation, photo elicitation, and ritual and cemetery analysis.
• Introduced the use of a video camera in a group research project amongst African dancers in Bristol.
• Completed several other ethnographic fieldwork projects using meticulous observational skills, clear independent thinking and self-reflection throughout the research and write-up stages.
• Presented analytical findings to large groups in clear power-point presentation format, both in Spanish and English.
• Completed modules in Human Behavioural Ecology and Biological Anthropology in order to gain an understanding of biological and ecological factors determining social human behaviour.
• Employed a broad range of research methods throughout the course using archive offices, independent and group ethnography, interview, academic publications and the internet.
September 2005 – June 2007, Varndean College, Brighton
A Level: Spanish (A) French (B) Archaeology (C) • AS Level: Chemistry (D) Classical Civilizations (C)
September 2001 – May 2005, St Mary’s Hall, Brighton
GCSEs: 9 (5A*, 4A) including Maths and English • Key Skills ICT CLAIT certificate (PASS)
Other Achievements: Academic Year Prize 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 & 2005 • Half Colour Awards in Hockey and Athletics • Hockey Captain 2003-4) • Grade 5 Guildhall Drama.
RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE
February 2012 – Present, Volunteer. Youth Discovery Ventures. Manchester.
• Led primary school students at St Mathews C.E. Primary school, Stretford, in 30 minute participatory film exercises that explored the children’s conceptions of their local council estate and gauge their aspirations for the future.
• Filmed during the course of several participatory film projects in order to document the events for the charity.
• Recorded Vox Pop style interviews in Stretford Mall to gain an understanding of local perceptions of nearby council estates.
February 2012 – Present , Volunteer (Marketing Team & Front of House) Manchester Film Festival.
• Promoted the film festival, creating a buzz around the event through various social media sites.
• Answered queries quickly and efficiently on behalf of the event via email.
• Liaised with universities and film societies around the country to acquire films for the event and sell further tickets.
September 2011 – Present, Customer Service Representative. Dominoes Pizza. Oxford Rd, Manchester.
• Worked in a team in one of the world’s most successful franchise businesses to reach specific sales targets, for example, courteously taking the customer’s order within one minute and carrying out order to delivery within 30 minutes.
• Completed full Customer Service Representative training. Delivered courteous customer service both in store and on the telephone, successfully upselling products and offering temporary meal deals wherever possible.
POSITIONS OF RESPONSIBILITY
September 2010 – June 2011, Performance Representative. University of Bristol Dance Society
• Attended meetings and collected dance class fees from society members on a weekly basis.
• Initiated a new dance show concept within the society during the quieter first term. Successfully created and planned a three night choreography platform for dancers to showcase their own work. Persuaded several professional dancers to perform free of charge which helped with the promotion of the event. Led the rest of the committee in further publicising and organisation of the show which raised £250 for local dance charity Bristol Dance Centre.
• Organised the end of year society showcase over the course of 6 months. Created a show theme, found and booked a venue with correct capacity and facilities for over 200 performers, negotiated venue hire and technical support costs within budget. Devised a work schedule and organised extra meetings leading up to the show to check progress and involve a team input. Hired a graphic designer to produce posters, designed programmes for the show, organised ticket design and sales. Made sure health and safety requirements were met. Organised and supervised several dress rehearsals. Persuaded local businesses to donate towards the show raffle. Led the rest of the Dance Society committee in promotion of the show, ticket sales, and the organisation of an after party for performers and successfully raised over £800 for charity Rape Crisis Bristol.
IT : Proficient in the use of Microsoft packages (Word, Excel, Publisher, Outlook and Access).
Internet and email literate.
Driving: Full clean UK driving license
Languages: Spanish (Advanced). Basic conversational French.
INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES
Member of the University of Manchester Dance Society. Enjoy performing in university shows in the following styles: Ballet, Pan-African, Salsa, Samba, and Lyrical Jazz. Trained with the Bristol Samba School and performed at St Paul’s Carnaval, Bristol. Other interests include Latin cinema, and going to Atlante matches, which is the local football team in Cancun, Mexico where my parents work and live.
References available on request.